2011-07-09

BBC News - Arizona sheriff office pays out over migrant raid

BBC News - Arizona sheriff office pays out over migrant raid

While it is unfortunate that two people were held for three hours before being released, it is difficult for me to see this detention as an illegal action. In a situation where law enforcement is processing 60 people in this country illegally, three hours does not sound like a long time.

The fact that the two were employed by the company is not law enforcement's fault. I would find it difficult to believe that the two were totally unaware of the risks associated in working for a company employing so many others that are in the country illegally. Did they work at the company and not know anything about the citizenship or immigration status of their co-workers? Not likely. Is a "don't ask, don't tell" policy in effect with respect to citizenship or immigration status?

In the same way, I would not have wanted Ted Kaczynski, Saddam Hussein, or Osama Bin Laden over for dinner or to spend the night on their way through town. Even if I were to have supported their ideologies (which I do not), there is excessive risk of having my home raided or targeted by a missile.

No, I am not suggesting that an illegal immigrant is equivalent of a terrorist. In truth, I believe that most people in another country illegally are doing the best they can to work and provide for their family. For that I wish them well. However, they must abide by the law where they are. There is a reason that the term is "illegal" immigrant.

For anyone from anywhere who wants to do an honest days work and provide for their family, I do not begrudge the opportunity. However, being in country "illegally" and being an "honest" worker seem mutually exclusive.

No comments: